What Rhinitis Allergy is all about?
Inflammation of the nasal passage is caused due to allergy rhinitis. It is also known as Seasonal Hay Fever. It is usually linked up with nasal discharge which is watery as well as itching of the nose and eyes.
Allergy Rhinitis affects about 20% of the American population and is considered to be one of the common illnesses in the United States. The symptoms of this allergy generally occur in the nose as well as the eyes and occur on account of dust, certain seasonal pollens as well as danders. About nearly 2/3rds of patients suffer from symptoms allergic rhinitis before they are 30 years of age.
There is no genetic predisposition to allergy rhinitis. Patients movements can be severely restricted. A lot of money is spent on physician’s bills and medication for treating this chronic illness.
Causes of Allergy Rhinitis
Seasonal and perennial such as tree, ragweed pollens and grass.
- Dust mites.
- Animal dander.
Symptoms of Allergy Rhinitis
- Repetitive sneezing.
- Rhinorrhea (runny nose).
- Nasal congestion.
- Post nasal drip.
- Pruritic or rather itchy eyes, nose, throat or ears.
- Eye tearing.
- Impaired smell.
- Sore throat.
Prevention of Allergy Rhinitis
Seasonal allergens are difficult to be avoided outdoors but can be controlled by closing our windows and switching on the air conditioners.
- Too much exposure outside mold can be avoided by avoiding such as activities as lawn mowing etc.
- Try to maintain an allergen free environment. Like covering pillows, and your mattresses with the help of plastic covers.
- One can make use of air purifiers.
- Dust filters.
- Removing items such as drapes, bedspreads, carpets etc. which tend to collect dust.
Treatment of Allergic Rhinitis
Decongestants and antihistamines. Antihistamines are in the form of capsules, liquids and tablets.
- Nasal Sprays.
- Immunotherapy, in other words allergy shots. This is recommended for those who do not respond to medical treatment, or suffer from side –effects caused due to medication.
Allergic Rhinitis is a common ailment. Many in the United States suffer from it.