Say No to Chiggers
Chigger is not actually an insect but the larva of mites. Due to the fact that it is so tiny, it cannot be seen and hence avoided too easily. Chiggers are found outdoors in similar places where ticks may inhabit – dark, damp and swampy areas. Chigger bites, a common phenomenon can obstruct any outdoor activity or sport. So if you don’t want to give up on the second you have to avoid the first by noticing their behavior very carefully.
How to keep chiggers away?
Follow the steps below to keep away from chigger bites:
- Avoid chigger inhabited places (swamps, low shrubs, bushes, vines)
- Do not lie down or sit directly on the ground or grass during summer season and bring along a folding chair or blanket
- Keep lawns and shrubs well trimmed and groomed outside your home
- Avoid clothing which are dark and that which will not attract chiggers or insects
- Wear long sleeved clothes in swampy areas
- To avoid chigger bites on the ankles and feet wear shoes and socks more often
- Use a repellant that contains permethrin or DEET (permethrin should be sprayed on the clothes but NOT on the skin)
- Bug repellant can be applied to vulnerable areas for chigger bites – legs, ankles, feet and waist
In addition to ticks and mosquitoes look out for products, lotions and sprays that can be used for keeping away red bugs or chiggers.