What is sinus congestion?
Sinus congestion simply put is having a stuffy or running nose and irritation in the nasal and respiratory passage. It can be caused due to a viral flu, an allergy or infections of the respiratory tract. Although there is no cure for this, there are many remedies like echinacea and warm compressors that could help treat the condition and make you feel better.
Home remedies for sinus congestion
Simple natural remedies like honey and apple cider vinegar are effective in treating sinus congestion and giving relief.
- Warm compressor: You can apply warm compressors on your face, especially when you have a stuffy blocked nose. It helps open up the nasal passages and breathe better.
- Echinacea: In the initial days, you can make a brew of this herb in water and have it regularly. It helps open up the nasal passages and ease breathing.
- Apple cider vinegar, honey and warm water: Take equal amounts of honey and apple cider vinegar, each two tablespoons in a glass of water. Have this mixture about two times a day. This provides instant relief from nasal blockages.
- Warm shower: You can take long warm showers as this will open up the nasal passages, get rid of dryness and itchiness and help you relax.
- Steam: You can boil water and inhale this steam for a few minutes. This helps get rid of the excess build-up of mucous in the respiratory passages and give relief from congestion.
Diet for sinus congestion
You can have lots of warm or hot liquids like tea, coffee and different kinds of soups. Other than this, you should make sure that you have a very healthy and balanced diet so that the body has enough stamina to fight the infection and recover.
Causes of sinus congestion
- Viral flu
- Respiratory infections
They cause swelling and inflammation of the inner lining of the sinus cavities.
Symptoms of sinus congestion
- Stuffy or runny nose
- Dryness of nasal passages
- Itchiness and irritation of respiratory passages
What is nasal congestion?
It is commonly referred to as a stuffy nose. It is usually blockage in the nasal passage that obstructs breathing. This can be caused due to a cold or an allergy. It can be cured by simple home remedies like tea tree oil and eucalyptus oil.
Home remedies for nasal congestion
Simple natural remedies like echinacea and Vitamin C can effectively cure nasal congestion.
- Tea tree oil: Add a few drops of this oil to boiling water and inhale the steam for a few minutes. It will help clear the nasal passages and breathe better. It also helps fight infection.
- Echinacea: make a tea of this herb in water and have a few cups everyday. It helps stimulate the immune system fight infections better.
- Eucalyptus oil: Add a few drops of this oil to boiling water and inhale this steam for a few minutes. This will help rid you of nasal blockage.
- Vitamin C: Take Vitamin C supplements about two to three times in a day. This helps control the level of histamines in the body as they are responsible for a lot of nasal blockages
- Steam: Even inhaling plain steam from boiling water is beneficial to flush out the excess build up of mucous in the nasal passage.
- Oregano oil: A few drops of this oil can be added to any fresh juice and consumed everyday. It helps stimulate the immune system to fight infections better
Diet for nasal congestion
The best diet is to consume hot liquids like soups, tea or coffee. This heat helps unblock the nasal passages and help you breathe better. Other than this, you need to have a balanced and healthy diet to help your body get over the infection or allergy that is causing congestion. Also, drink a lot of water.
Causes for nasal congestion
- Viral flu
- Allergic reactions
- Respiratory infections
Symptoms of nasal congestion
- Stuffy nose
- Difficulty in breathing
- Heaviness in the head