How To Cope Up With Nicotine Cravings
Smoking can be an addiction. It becomes a habit. One craves for a cigarette and cannot do without one. It is a craving. Internal chemistry with genetic disposition plays important role in nicotine cravings. Nicotine effect is higher during the day-time as the corticosterone levels (stress hormone) is higher then. Smokers are highly satisfied by smoking a cigarette during the day-time.
In order to get rid of the habit of smoking, one has to assess the link between internal chemistry and smoking genes. Nicotine craving occurs every five minutes, but it passes off. One need not necessarily smoke a cigarette. One can cope up with the cravings. How?
Tips to Overcome Nicotine Cravings
- Brisk physical activity controls nicotine cravings. One can either run up the stairs or climb them
- One can take substitutes such as chewing gum, lozenges which can be had over the counter
- Convince yourself about the benefits of staying free from nicotine cravings. You keep better health and also save money
- Deep breathing helps
- Identify the occasions when you crave for a smoke, and accordingly work upon them. Try to avoid the excuses to smoke. The brain gets used to the controlled cravings, and will eventually accept the substitutes
- Join hands with someone who is also trying to give up smoking or does not smoke. Do things together, like going for a brisk walk etc
- Express your views on a quitter’s blog. By sharing your thoughts, you feel more encouraged to overcome your nicotine cravings
- Drink ice cold water, then suck the cubes
- Divert the mind by going in for some interesting recipes
- Reward yourself with something you like whenever you overcome a nicotine craving
- Sing a song, or play a tune. You can ask a partner to dance with you
- A positive outlook also helps to fight the nicotine cravings
- Boost up your morale by marking each smoke- free day in the calendar
- Keep the hands busy. Play with something like a rubber band, a pen or pencil etc
- Change your routine, so that you do not perform the same tasks which require you to smoke
- Take a smoke-free break, while working
- Keep some fruit snacks or juices which you can have instead of a cigarette which will control the nicotine cravings
- Relaxation exercises also help. One can go in for yoga
- Imagery also helps. When the cravings occur, imagine a beautiful scenery
One can overcome nicotine cravings. One needs to put in the effort to do so. Determination and will power help you to cope up with such cravings.