Kukkutasana : Yoga Positions
‘Kukkuta’ is a Sanskrit word which means a cock. This asana or posture resembles that of a cock and hence the name is Kukkutasana.
Technique for Yoga Positions Kukkutasana:
Sit in the Padmasana position. Insert the hands through the gap between the thighs and calves near the knees. Start with the fingers and gradually push the hands up to the elbows. Inhale and raise the body off the floor. Then continue normal breathing. Legs should be off the floor up the level of the elbows. Hands can easily be inserted in the gap if the Padmasana position is slightly raised. Pot-bellied persons will find it difficult to insert the hands in the gap between the calves and the thighs. In the beginning, remain in this position for ten seconds and gradually increase the time to a minute depending upon the age and ability of the aspirant.
Advantages for Yoga Positions Kukkutasana:
- All the benefits derived from Utthita Padmasana or Lolasana are derived from these asana.The diseases which Utthita Padmasana curer can be cured by this asana also.
- This asana is beneficial to those who have worms in their intestines.
- This asana is very useful to women as it cures uneasiness, pain in the hips and heaviness caused by menstruation.
- This asana gives sufficient exercise to the arms. It strengthens the wrists, the elbows and the shoulders-the three important joints of the arms.
- This asana invigorates the body and delights the mind.